Subject: Long-horned borer?
Location: Lamar Co., Mississippi, USA
A friend of mine in Lamar County, Mississippi sent this photo for id as she thought it was a pretty interesting bug. The closest I could come up with was the red-headed ash borer, and I’m certain that isn’t it. Who is this beetle? Should my friend be worried about her timber?
Signature: J Kyzar

Cypress Bark Borer

Dear J Kyzar,
You are correct that this is a Longhorned Borer Beetle or Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae, but it is not a Red Headed Ash Borer, though we believe it is a member of the same subfamily Cerambycinae.  We have not had any luck scouring either BugGuide or Arthur Evans’ excellent book “Beetles of Eastern North America”, so we have reached out to both Arthur Evans and Eric Eaton for assistance.  We hope to have a response for you soon.  The swollen femora and basal antennae segments are very distinctive, as are the color and markings.  We don’t know how to search the database on the Mississippi State University Cerambycidae of Mississippi page, but we did try to contact curator Terence Schiefer for assistance as well.

Cypress Bark Borer

Arthur Evans Responds.
Where is it from?  Sorry! I seen now that it is from Mississippi. Checking…
http://bugguide.net/node/view/573634

Cypress Bark Borer

Dear Arthur,
Thanks so much for identifying the Cypress Bark Borer,
Physocnemum andreae.  It is interesting that there is only one image on BugGuide from South Carolina and the site states:  “uncommon.”  The images of mounted specimens on Cerambycidae Species are very detailed.

Eric Eaton Responds
Wow!  Maybe the person can post these images to Bugguide?  There is only one image for the species right now.
author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
http://bugeric.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much! I have a moderate background in entomology (I used to work with plecopterans) and when my friend asked for an ID on Facebook I turned to your site and bug guide. Much to my dismay I couldn’t find anything that matched! I have a few other images of the beetles and I’ll head on over to bug guide and submit them.
J Kyzar

Location: Lamar County, Mississippi