Subject: Moth: Satellite or what
Location: near Lake Chapala, Ajijic, Mexico
June 3, 2017 7:59 am
I first thought this was an Achemon Sphinx … then decided it was a Satellite … but still not sure. The body markings look different. Found near Lake Chapala in Ajijic, Mexico.
Signature: jwycoff

Sphinx Moth: Which Eumorpha species???

Dear jwycoff,
We agree that this Sphinx Moth is in the genus Eumorpha, and we searched Sphingidae of the Americas, and we are left with three possibilities.  It most closely resembles images of
Eumorpha anchemolus pictured on Sphingidae of the Americas, but we would not eliminate the possibility that it might be the Satellite Sphinx, Eumorpha satellitia, which is also pictured on Sphingidae of the Americas.  Eumorpha triangulum is the third species pictured on Sphingidae of the Americas that looks similar.  We will write to Bill Oehlke for confirmation.  He may request permission to post your image to his site.  Again, we are favoring Eumorpha anchemolus.  Because we will be away from the office on holiday, we are post-dating your submission to go live to our site later in the month while we are away.

Daniel … thanks for such a quick turnaround. From the three choices, I’d agree with you … and assume from the pics that it’s male.
I am happy for you and Bill and anyone interested to use the photo. And how fun to have this posted to your site. Thanks for being such a great place to explore.
Have a great holiday.
joyce

Location: Lake Chapala, Ajijic, Mexico