Subject: I’d beetle
Location: St. Paul MN
Weeding my wild flowers. Veggie garden nearby. Saw these in the dirt. I am not having luck on my own. Thanks!
Signature: Connie

Mating Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetles

Dear Connie,
Do you have any milkweed growing in your garden?  That is the preferred food plant of these mating Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetles,
Labidomera clivicollis, and you can verify our identification by comparing to this BugGuide image.  According to BugGuide:  “Often overwinter as adults among leaves, e.g. on mullein (Verbascum). Adults mate on or around milkweed. Eggs are cemented to the underside of leaves. Larvae feed on leaves, and drop to ground to pupate.”  According to Bug of the Week:  “Adult beetles are voracious feeders and they quickly removed large slices of the leaves. Leaf protein is translated into batches of eggs within the female beetle. About a week after eggs are laid, rotund orange beetle larvae hatched from these eggs and grazed mightily on my milkweed. Larvae move to the soil to pupate and by September a fresh batch of adult beetles had emerged and colonized the milkweed. Adults of this generation fatten up on milkweed leaves before finding a protected refuge somewhere in my garden to spend the winter.”  We are post-dating your submission to go live to our site later in the month while our editorial staff is away on holiday.

Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

2 Responses to Mating Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetles

1. nrPhotos says:

I saw one of these beetles in an outdoor pot of marigolds as I made my daily rounds several days ago; its orange color grabbed my attention. Is if kin to the milkweed assassin bug? I’ve seen about 6 of those walking in and around various plants in my outdoor potted garden. Today I saw one meandering about the wood frame of my screened in porch. I’ve had a hard time identifying them.
    Tha

2. nrPhotos says:

Tha