Subject: Tiger Beetle But Not?
Location: Norther Illinois
June 2, 2017 7:07 am
A little help if you please! My family enjoys looking up in wildlife guides, the bugs we find outside (and inside) our suburban home in Illinois. The closest thing we come up with for these two is the “spotted tiger beetle.” But these little guys are not spotted as the description/images/name would have us believe. Are they an undeveloped youngster version of this beetle perhaps? Or are we barking up the wrong bug? We’ve been able to identify all the other local insects thus far but are very unsure on this one. Thank you for taking the time to look! It’s kinda buggin’ me.
Signature: Benjy

Green Immigrant Leaf Weevils

Dear Benjy,
Tiger Beetles are fast moving predators, and they are nowhere near as docile as these invasive Green Immigrant Leaf Weevils.  According to BugGuide:  “native to Europe (widespread there), adventive in NA, established in the northeast (NS-*SK to *PA-IL) + *UT & BC” and they feed on “primarily Yellow Birch (
Betula alleghaniensis).”

Location: Illinois