Subject: Large moth
Location: Near Casares, Andalucia
June 1, 2017 4:14 am
I saw this moth on the trunk of a cork oak tree, 1st June 2017 at about 11:00 AM. Located in a heavily wooded valley and it’s quite large , I would estimate up to 45mm long. Any ID would be appreciated
Signature: Garth Nicholson

Sphinx Moth

Dear Garth,
The best we can provide at this time is a family identification.  This is a Sphinx Moth in the family Sphingidae.  We will attempt a species identification for you.

Thanks very much – I hope you can find the species,
Regards,
Garth Nicholson

Update:  Cesar Crash has identified this Sphinx Moth as Marumba quercus.  According to Sphingidae of the Western Palaearctic, the habitat is:  “Dry, sunny, wooded hillsides with a preponderance of young, shrubby oaks are favoured, usually in areas where the soil is of a light, gritty nature. Occurs up to 1500m in Spain, but in Lebanon is restricted to around 1200m (the oak zone). Adults rest by day suspended amongst foliage where they resemble dead leaves. A few may be found on tree trunks, especially Quercus suber (cork oak), having climbed there after emergence. It is here that mated females can sometimes be discovered, having parted from the male before dawn. As neither sex feeds in the adult stage, flowers have no attraction, although both sexes come to light.”

Many thanks for that ID – absolutely spot on.
Regards,
Garth Nicholson

Location: Casares, Andalucia, Spain

2 Responses to Sphinx Moth from Spain is Marumba quercus

1. Cesar Crash says:

This is Marumba quercus.