Subject: Crane Fly
Location: Langley BC Canada
Hey bugman just wondering what she is. I know it’s a crane fly, I believe it is a Nephrotoma. From the images I’ve found it looks like a Crocata to me. I live in BC Canada. I’m not really knowledgeable on insects, just curious as I’ve never seen on of these in my life.
Signature: Thanks

Crane Fly

Wikipedia has an image of Nephrotoma crocata, and it does resemble your individual, but that is a European species and to the best of our knowledge, it has not been introduced to North America, but that is always a possibility.  We are more inclined to believe that you have an image of a native species in the subfamily Ctenophorinae which is pictured on BugGuide.

Location: Langley, British Columbia, Canada

6 Responses to Crane Fly from Canada

1. Devin says:

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve been looking, and I can’t find any reference on what is native to here, but could you do me a favor and check out the wings? From what I’ve found from images is the Nephrotoma wings are a much closer match in general and the Crocata wings look to be exactly the same (as much as could be expected anyways). I’m very interested in this one. 🙂

2. Devin says:

I apologise for the double post but the other thing that has my attention is the black legs with the faint coloration only near the body.