Subject: Mystery eggs
Location: Alton, Illinois, USA
I was wandering around my yard with my tortoise when I discovered a tiny dying leaf with tiny eggs on it. I am totally clueless and need help identifying!
Signature: Sarah D

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Eggs

Dear Sarah,
We are quite certain these are Stink Bug eggs, and after comparing them to this BugGuide image, we are fairly certain they are Brown Marmorated Stink Bug,
Halymorpha halys, eggs.  The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is an Invasive Exotic Species and according to BugGuide:  “Native to E. Asia, adventive elsewhere(2); in our area, mostly e US and West Coast states.”  First collected in Pennsylvania in 1998, in just a few years, this noxious species has spread from coast to coast according to BugGuide data.  In addition to doing major agricultural damage, according to BugGuide:  “Highly polyphagous, reported on ~300 plant spp. in its native range; feeds mostly on fruit, but also on leaves, stems, petioles, flowers, and seeds. Damage typically confined to fruiting structures,” the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is a source of consternation to homemakers because they frequently enter homes in large numbers to hibernate when the weather begins to cool.

Location: Alton, Illinois