Subject: WTB ?
Location: N.E. Alabama
My daughter n law was bit by what she described as a flying ant outside. Later the next day I found this in the floor of my laundry room thinking it mite have been what bit her.
Signature: Dmeado

Carpenter Ant Alate

Dear Dmeado,
Earlier today we posted an image from North Carolina of what we believe to be a male Carpenter Ant alate, the winged reproductive form that swarms when weather conditions are right.  We believe your image is that of a female Carpenter Ant alate, possibly
Camponotus castaneus, based on this BugGuide image.  We believe the best way to distinguish the males from the females is the shape of the head and the longer antennae on the males as he uses his antennae to help locate a female.  BugGuide notes:  “Alates noted May-June (Mississippi) and September (Mississippi, North Carolina)” so your swarm seems quite on schedule.

Location: Alabama

One Response to Carpenter Ant Alate

1. Ben says:

If your daughter-in-law was bitten by an ant alate, chances are that it was a semi claustral species or a Camponotus female alate. All semi-claustral ant queens forage for food while raising their young, and they have well developed mandibles. Some species have stingers or formic acid spray, so that amplifies the bite. They are also more likely to wander in the open without a nuptial flight in session.
    Camponotus alates are fully claustral, but they have powerful mandibles and formic acid spray. They tend to spray formic acid into a bite wound to amplify the pain.
    (normal ant bites do not hurt unless a Leafcutter ant soldier bites)