Subject: Mallodon Dasystomus?
Location: Upper Texas Coast
On Saturday night this not-quite-two-inch beetle came to our door. It seems to be Mallodon dasystomus, the hardwood stump borer, and displays the characteristic golden fur on the inside surface of its mandibles.
I live on the Upper Texas Coast near Houston.
Signature: Lachlan

Hardwood Stump Borer

Dear Lachlan,
We believe you are correct that this is a Hardwood Stump Borer.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae bore in live heartwood of trees, incl. oak, elm, willow, pecan, maple, sycamore, etc” and “take 3-4 years to mature. Can be economically damaging. Adults come to lights.”  However, we would not rule out that it might be a Live Oak Root Borer,
Archodontes melanopus, which is also pictured on BugGuide.  We will attempt to get an exact species identification for you.

Location: Houston, Texas

2 Responses to Hardwood Stump Borer

1. Gene St. Denis says:

Daniel and Lachlan , I believe that you have a wonderful specimen of Mallodon dasystomus ! Cheers ! Gene St. Denis Sierra Nevada Research