Subject: unknown bug
Location: Maryland
hello, I was wondering if you could please let me know what kind of bug this is in the picture. I live in Baldwin, Maryland and I have seen this bug before I believe it sheds a shell of its skin. This one seems like it is getting bigger underneath so Im thinking it may be pregnant.
Signature: Thank you, Michele

Periodical Cicada Exuvia: Brood X Straggler

Dear Michele,
This is the exuvia or shed exoskeleton of a Cicada, and considering your location and time of year, this is probably the exuvia of a Periodical Cicada, a Brood X straggler.  According to Cicada Mania:  “Brood X stragglers are emerging in Tennessee (around Knoxville), Washington D.C., Virginia (counties around D.C.), Maryland (counties around D.C.), Ohio (around Cincinnati), Delaware, Indiana, & Kentucky! These stragglers are emerging 4 years ahead of time. HOT weather this week will cause even more to emerge, and they may begin to chorus (synchronized singing) as well.”  Periodical Cicadas are erroneously called 17 Year Locusts.

Location: Baldwin, Maryland