Subject: These bugs were all over my children and I…
Location: Florida
We live in Florida, Orlando to be exact and I felt so itchy when my son came home from his fathers house in Leesburg Florida. I noticed tiny orange/brown bugs all over my youngest son and I while near our glass sliding door. I don’t know if thy came with my eldest son and they just multiplied once inside… my partner and I thought they were bed bugs because thy were so itchy once they landed on us. We have looked up countless bugs and been on countless websites. They are so small we had to look st them under a microscope… we ended up throwing out mattress out because that’s where I felt them the most, and since then I have not seen any… but I’m sill confused and want to know exactly what they are so if it happens again I can do something about it sooner. Thank you.
Signature: Kay

Thrips

Dear Kay,
You and your family are being bitten by Thrips (same singular and plural), which are small insects found outdoors as most are plant feeders.  According to BugGuide:  “Thrips can often be found on flowers, they are especially visible on light colored flowers like daisies. Be aware that though they are very tiny, they can give a slightly painful bite.”  The bite is not considered dangerous, just painful.  Here is a BugGuide image of Thrips.  Alas, throwing out the mattress was not necessary, but it is always so wonderful to sleep on a new mattress.

Thrips

Oh my goodness thank you so much, we figured that is what they were after searchig for hours online, we do have a lot of plants in the house and around our bed, so no wondering that’s why I was seeing them mainly there. And oh yes the new mattress was the perfect Mother’s Day gift either way ! (: thank you!

Location: Florida