Subject: Don’t know if this bug is dangerous
Location: Burbank CA
Hi
I live in Southern California and found this big on my balcony. Would like to know what kind of spider it is and is it dangerous. I have a two year old son who likes to play on that balcony. I don’t want him or is for that matter to get bitten by dangerous spider.
Signature: Andrew Warzocha

Solifugid

Dear Andrew,
This predatory Arachnid is a Solifugid, and it is commonly called a Sun Spider or Wind Scorpion, but that should not be of any concern for you.  Though both Spiders and Scorpions are venomous, Solifugids do not.  They do have strong mandibles that are used to crush prey, and a large Solifugid might bite a person who carelessly handled it, but our North American Solifugids do not pose any threat to humans.  Solifugids from the Middle East are commonly called Camel Spiders.  They are considerably larger and a bite might cause some concern.

Location: Burbank, California