Subject:  What’s That Bug?
Location:  Ventura, California
April 28, 2017
Dearest Bugman,
I live in Ventura, Ca a small coastal city about an hour north of LA. My home is on the hillside and I enjoy the small ecosystem in my neighborhood with a variety of birds (some of which sing morning and night), lizards, other critters I often do not encounter inside my home and a large variety of “bugs” of all types. I often have silverfish in my home and my practice is to acknowledge them and let them be, but I spotted this guy the other night on my kitchen floor and he looked a little different. I got down on the floor for an intimate photoshoot with this little fella, and also noticed that when I got close he would flutter small wings, but never really took flight. I snapped these shots with my iPhone and hopefully got enough details for you to determine just who my new friend is…  30 seconds after I switched off the kitchen light and sat down in the other room (with a view of the kitchen) I saw a mouse run across the very kitchen floor I had just been down and dirty on! Of course I screamed as this was my very first ever experience of any type of four legged animal in my domicile. I considered leaving for the evening and returning in daylight hours, but decided that it is my home and I will be a decent hostess even to the most unsavory of uninvited guests for a night or two. It took 3 nights and about 15 have a heart traps set in my kitchen by a professional, but the good news is it appears that there are no longer unwanted mammals in my home… which brings us back to the question at hand: have you seen this before?
Signature:  Melanie On the Irish Chain

Bristletail

Dear Melanie on the Irish Chain,
The Bristletail in your images is a primitive insect that was once classified with Silverfish and several other groups that have since been taxonomically divided, with Bristletails now being classified in the Order Microcoryphia.  BugGuide has some wonderfully detailed images of Bristletails.  Based on this BugGuide information on habitat:  “outdoor grassy or wooded environments: under bark, in leaf litter, rock crevices, or under stones; not normally found in homes, does not breed indoors, and not considered a pest” we would not classify this posting as a Household Pest, but considering your encounter with the rodent, we feel the tag is appropriate.

Bristletail

Location: Ventura, California

2 Responses to Bristletail and a Mouse Encounter

1. Tyler says:

Recently I’ve found numerous Jumping Bristle Tails – big ones- in my home. They hang out on walls and don’t seem to avoid light like Silverfish. In fact, I often see them on lampshades… I live in the foothills in Southern California at an altitude of 1000 feet.

2. Pat says:

Im in Ottawa, ON, Canada.. and im in a carpeted apartment and im findinging them under random clothing i drop on the floor… AND… smaller infant looking ones as well!… obvious proof they r breeding somehow! O.o….