Subject: It is not what we tought! 😮
Location: Guatemala. San Martín Jilotepeque
April 26, 2017 1:55 am
Dear Mr. Bugman:
Some weeks ago, I wrote a letter to you because my brother, linving in Guatemala (San Martín Jilotepeque) decided to adopt a caterpillar he found in his garden, and we didn’t know what kind of was. Kindly, you told us you thought it was a Woolly bear caterpillar, but now we can see its chrysalis and it seems that is something different. Could it be a Leopard Moth caterpillar? What do you think it is?
We also would like to know how much time could this process last (I mean pupation) because it depends on the caterpillar kind. My brother is even worry because he thinks the pupation is not good, that it could have had a problem because it seems to be unconcluded. ¿What do you think?
Thank you so much! 🙂
The Caterpillar lovers
Signature: Belén

Unknown Pupa

Dear Belen,
We agree that this pupa (chrysalis is the pupal state of a butterfly) is probably not from the subfamily Arctiinae as Woolly Bears generally incorporate larval hairs into a cocoon.  We would love an image of the adult when it emerges.  Without knowing the species, it is difficult to predict when eclosion will occur.  The pupa does not look abnormal to us.  Please keep us updated.  What did the caterpillar eat between the time you sent the first image and now?  Food plant might help identify the species.

Unknown Caterpillar

Location: San Martin Jilotepeque, Guatemala