Subject: Desert Spider near Borrego Springs
Location: Anza-Borrego desert
April 23, 2017 6:02 am
Season: spring
Habitat: sandstone rock with eroded wind crevices (I noticed one of the spiders retreat into a small wind eroded den in the sandstone just large enough for it to comfortably fit (how convenient for it to escape my camera and curiosity)
Abundance: there were several of these climbing around the area I had camped at outdoors the night before. I may have though twice about sleeping without a tent had I know but none of them bit me so it all turned out fine.
Location: Anza-Borrego desert, Southern California, east of San Diego
Coloration: designed to blend in with the course sand in the area
Signature: Chris Hunkeler

Desert Harvestman

Dear Chris,
This is not a spider.  It is a non-venomous Arachnid known as a Harvestman, and we believe it is a Desert Harvestman in the genus
Eurybunus.  According to BugGuide:  “Adults found in winter and Spring.”

April 29, 2017
Wow, this is amazing. I had not heard anything for a day or two and when I started trying to investigate myself I became completely overwhelmed with trying to identify the arachnid. I couldn’t really see how many eyes it have for my photo much less would I have been able to see it’s genitalia or look it up in some book and I rather quickly became discouraged so thank you so much for your identification. I was very curious and I will check out other images of what you’re saying it is before I go ahead and update the description on my Flickr page. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I really appreciate it.

Location: Anza Borrego Desert

One Response to Desert Harvestman

1. Chris Hunkeler says:

Another angle of this same Desert Harvestmen can be seen here: https://flic.kr/p/U3u3SW