Subject: Beautiful wasp
Location: Wylie, Texas 75098
April 18, 2017 10:16 am
I can’t find anything like this on the web. I hope you can identify it!
Signature: Gary Perry

Waved Light Fly

Dear Gary,
This is not a Wasp.  It is a Waved Light Fly,
Pyrgota undata, in the  family Pyrgotidae, and we have one other example in our archives, but it is only classified as a Fly and is not subcategorized.  Thanks to your submission, we are going to create a subcategory for the family Pyrgotidae which does not have a common name.  These flies are parasitoids, and according to BugGuide: “Life history: Female lights on a feeding May beetle, causing it to take flight. Pyrgotid then oviposits into beetle’s back while soft parts are exposed in flight. Flies usually attack female beetles only and may pursue them under lights. Larvae is about 1 cm long, takes about 14 days to kill host beetle and then consumes entire interior. Fly pupates inside host remains and pupates there, emerges following spring.” 

Wow! Thank you so much for the information. What an interesting way to propagate!!
I really appreciate your help and will make a contribution on your website to partially return the favor.
Best regards,
Gary
Thanks Gary,
That is very generous of you.
Location: Wylie, Texas