Subject: This bug hurt me. What is it?
Location: Central Kansas (Valley Center, Kansas)
I let my dogs in around 9:45 pm and in came two of these bugs. One stung me, I actually screamed because it hurt. An hour later it still hurts. I need to know what this bug is or my 10 yr old will never go outside again. I live near a pond and I am in Valley Center, Kansas this is located in the central part of the state. 4-16-2017
Signature: C.Waller

Short-Tailed Ichneumon

Dear C. Waller,
This is a Short-Tailed Ichneumon in the subfamily Ophioninae, a parasitoid wasp that we believe is to blame for many reports we receive of stinging Crane Flies.  Short-Tailed Ichneumons are attracted to lights, and that might be the reason they entered your home at 9:45 PM.  Though painful, the sting is not considered dangerous.  You might have to rethink restricting the activities of your ten-year old since BugGuide data has the range of Ophioninae as most of North America, with only four states providing no reports:  Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas.  That does not mean they do not exist there, merely that there have been no BugGuide sightings.

Sting of a Short-Tailed Ichneumon

Location: Valley Center, Kansas

11 Responses to Short-Tailed Ichneumon stings woman in Kansas

1. I was also stung by this”short-tailed wasp” was grocery shopping, picked up a pack of cookies and felt a sting, horrendous burn right away! Didn’t see the actual wasp but pulled the stinger out of my finger, after some googling this is the insect! Can’t believe the pain this wasp can bring! Wow, it still burns few days later!! I’m scared now of these things! Thank God wasn’t poisonous but they must be attracted to sugar as well! Stay safe people!? Amber C. Greensboro, NC
    Sept. 10, 2018

2. Krystal says:

Hi, I just caught one of these little guys last week. I’m in Towanda, Kansas…near Wichita Kansas….

3. Becca says:

Just found one of these little buggers in my kitchen this evening – flew into the water in my dishpan and couldn’t get out. Nasty looking stinger. Location: Wichita, KS.

4. Hailey says:

This was in my sisters dining room, good thing I caught it. Did some googling good thing I found out it’s a wasp or I wouldn’t have cared much, but for some reason it was just flying in circles, strange but true.

5. Amy says:

Found one on my lamp in Western North Dakota! Good thing i googled it!

6. Phyllis says:

My granddaughter got stung by one today in Arkansas.

7. Kaylee says:

Chased me around my room after it stung me and then continued to circle around my light on the ceiling. VERY painful and I am not getting stung again. If you see one, stay calm but also stay clear!

8. Tim B says:

A web search for what stung me yesterday led to this page. The above photo of the wasp looks the most similar that I could find of the bug that got me yesterday. The sting occurred while I was working on my brother’s property in north-central California.

Sting was very painful. Think about 10 times the pain from a bee sting. The pain subsided after about a hour, so I didn’t think too much of it. When I woke today though, I could see the area was swollen. Now, about 30 hours after the sting, the swelling is minimal, but there is a large red area extending about 3 inches out from the sting location – near my left elbow. Not much pain at this point. Itchiness = about a 3 out of 10. Not a photo of my arm, but this looks very similar to my reaction: https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/painful-allergic-reaction-wasp-sting-600w-507971728.jpg Not fun.

9. Lisa Keesling says:

My 11yr old daughter was just stung by one of these today. We live in East Central Indiana and she went outside and sat down on the swing and it stung the back of her calf. I actually had to knock it off of her as she was screaming in pain after several seconds of it stinging her. I had never seen anything like it before so we killed it and I took to google to find out what it was. What’s surprising is the last few days here have been near freezing temps overnight so most of the bees and annoying insects we usually see have been gone.

10. Ann Gilbert says:

one stung my daughter tonight. We are located in northwestern Pennsylvania.

11. Isabelle says:

Hi I just got stung. Hurt a lot. Painful. I think I’ll be okay. Happy to hear that I have people who have been through the same thing. It was sitting on my laptop. Came back and tried to sting me again. Very mean. If you could avoid being stung by this I would. 1/10 would recommend it.