Subject: Should I be concerned?
Location: Boston, MA
I’ve found a few of these bugs in my apartment over the last couple weeks, mostly in the bathroom but occasionally in other rooms too. I have an infant son and I’m worried that these could be ticks, but they don’t quite look like most of the tick pictures I’ve seen online.
Do you have any idea what it is?
Signature: Thank you!

Smooth Spider Beetle

This is one of the Spider Beetles in the subfamily Ptininae, most likely the Smooth Spider Beetle, Gibbium aequinoctiale, which is pictured on BugGuide where it states:  “Cosmopolitan but more common in warm climes, and very few records in Europe; origin unknown (“tropical, subtropical”); found in stored goods across NA” and that it feeds on a “wide variety of dead organic materials; may be a dry stored product pest.”  Check the pantry for the site of the infestation, including large, bargain bags of pet food and bird seed.

Location: Boston, Massachusetts

One Response to Smooth Spider Beetle

1. Emily B Bagley says:

What can l
    These do to dogs or a human