Subject: I’m not sure which blister beetle this is
Location: Culebron Spain
April 15, 2017 9:18 am
Would you mind identifying this insect please, I found it in Culebron in Spain. Thank you
Signature: Lorna

Longhorn:  Vesperus species

Dear Lorna,
We have not had any luck in our first attempt to identify this unusual beetle.  While the head and body structure do resemble those of a Blister Beetle in the family Meloidae, the antennae seem  to belong to a member of a different family, Cerambycidae.  We are seeking other opinions.

Longhorn:  Vesperus species.

Thank you so much Daniel for replying to me, I’m getting quite excited now that it seems unfamilar to you, I don’t know much about insects but I couldn’t find it anywhere on the Internet and now I’m getting really interested in learning more about the wonderful strange things. Maybe it will be named after me ‘beetle Lorna’ I’m sure not but it’s a nice idea!!!

Eric Eaton Provides a Non-Conclusive Response
I have no idea.  I’m not even sure if it is fully formed.  Looks like it just molted into an adult, which means it could be almost anything.
author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
http://bugeric.blogspot.com/

Thanks Eric,
That makes sense about it being “intermetamorphal.”

Thank you Daniel! Nobody here in Spain knows what it is either.
Lorna Gardner

Update:  December 30, 2017
Thanks to a comment from Jeff E. we now know this is actually a Longhorn Beetle in the genus Vesperus.

Location: Culebron, Spain

2 Responses to Longhorn Beetle, NOT Blister Beetle from Spain.

1. Jeff E. says:

It’s a Vesperus sp. Unusual genus of cerambycids, sometimes placed in a separate family (Vesperidae). Sexually dimorphic; the females (like this one) have reduced wings and an enlarged abdomen, giving them a blister-beetle-like appearance. The males look more typically cerambycoid.