Subject: Interesting fly
Location: Northern Utah, Rocky Mountains, in a valley about half an hour away from The Salt Lake, and 10 minutes from a river, and 15 minutes from a reservoir that feeds the river
This fly visited me early spring In Northern Utah. Physiologically, it looks nearly identical to a common housefly, with the same skittishness and “mouthing” behavior. The mouth was narrower but roughly the same shape as that of a housefly. It is slightly smaller than a housefly. My guess is a mutation, but insects are not my feild. Thank you for your time.
Signature: Digitally

Probably Tachinid Fly

Dear Digitally,
We believe this is a parasitoid Tachinid Fly, but we do not recognize the species.  According to BugGuide:  “Second largest dipteran family (after Tipulidae), with ~1350 spp. in >300 genera of 4 subfamilies in our area and >10,000 spp. in ~1600 genera worldwide; it is possible that only half of the species have been described.” 

Location: Salt Lake, Utah