Subject: Mantid hatchlings
Location: San Antonio, Texas
My son called me out into the yard to show me he found praying mantid babies. He was very excited to show them to me and I was very impressed to see he was correct (he is 3). I think I found the oothica they hatched from, we had tons of mantids last summer/fall in our yard, so I am not surprised they laid an oothica there-but I am surprised I never noticed it (on the lip of the lid on the back side of the grill. Even more shocking is we have lit the grill a few times this year unknowing that there were baby mantids there. I am hoping we didn’t harm any of them when we opened the grill! I thought you might enjoy seeing these amazing babies! Enclosed is a photo of what I believe to be the oothica, and a couple of photos of the babies. The video would not send.
Signature: Awestruck and Hawkeyes

Mantid Hatchlings

Dear Awestruck and Hawkeyes,
Thanks so much for submitting your image of hatchling Mantids as well as your wonderful story about your young nature enthusiast.  Because of the quality of the image, we could not confirm that what you believe to be the ootheca on the grill is accurate.

Location: San Antonio, Texas