Subject: Spikey Black inch long larvae/caterpillars?
Location: Sydney, Australia, NSW
April 4, 2017 4:41 am
So a friend of mine found these larvae(?) in his fish pond, dozens of them, they breathe through a snorkel and are almost an inch long. I have yet to see them in person, but I don’t seem to be able to find anything that fits closely and hes never had them before. Maybe of note is that we have had a lot of rain lately so perhaps they are thriving because of all of the fresh rainwater and his pond only has floating duckweed and salvinia. Does he need to be worried about his smaller baby fish if these are carnivorous?
Signature: Ashton

Mosquito Larvae

Dear Ashton,
What kind of fish does your friend have?  We would think fish would gobble up these Mosquito Larvae.  Your friend might want to consider adding some Mosquito Fish to the pond to help eliminate these aquatic larvae that will eventually become blood-sucking, flying Mosquitoes.   Here is a Getty Images image to support our identification.  Here is a larval comparison image from NSW Arbovirus Surveillance & Vector Monitoring Program.  Mosquito Larvae are commonly called Wrigglers.

Thank you for the photo references.
He has koi fish which logically should be eating them.
Its weird though ive never seen wrigglers as large as he was telling me as i personally collect them to feed to my aquarium fish at home. What he explained was that they were the size of grubs. Hes collected wrigglers for his smaller fish for years and has never had ones like these so maybe theyre from a different species of mosquitoe to usual.

Update:  April 10, 2017
On second look, they look a lot like the culex variety. Will have to research mosquitoe varieties in my local sydney area.

Location: Sydney, Australia