Subject: Insect information
Location: Baja California
Found this in sanfelipe Baja mexico, after I woke up with a bite on my are that swelled quickly. Wondering if it could be the cause.
Signature: Josh gordon

Wasp

Dear Josh,
If this is the culprit, you were stung and not bitten.  This looks like a Short-Tailed Ichneumon, possibly in the genus
Ophion.  Most Ichneumons are harmless, but members of the genus Ophion are capable of stinging.  According to BugGuide:  “Adult Ophion species will hunt for their host caterpillar. Usually one egg is laid per host. Caterpillar usually dies during pupal stage though wasp larva remains to pupate itself.”

Update:  September 27, 2019
Based on a comment we just received that needs considerable research, we are no longer categorizing this an an Ichneumon.

Location: San Felipe, Baja, California

2 Responses to Wasp stings man in Baja

1. Jon says:

This is one of the aculeate wasps, not an ichneumonid. Several similar groups (Sphaeropthalminae, Chyphotinae, and Brachycistidinae) typically only have wings in the males (which can’t sting). Generally, it’s not possible to determine which species delivered a sting unless you saw while it was stinging you.

Thanks for this correction, but please assist our non-scientific editorial staff by defining Aculeate Wasps. Based on BugGuide, the Aculeata includes all Ants, Bees and Stinging Wasps.