Subject: Land Shrimp?!
Location: La Habra Heights, CA
March 27, 2017 10:20 am
We just recently moved into our new place and found these bugs crawling into our living room from the patio door and molting They moved very slow and when i try to catch one, it jumped up about 12 to 18 inches straight up. I lived in Southern California and never seen an insect like this. Can you help me identify this insect, thank you.
Signature: Jonathan

Lawn Shrimp

Dear Jonathan,
Commonly called a Lawn Shrimp or House Hopper, this terrestrial Amphipod is not an insect, but a Crustacean.  Lawn Shrimp are native to Australia, but they have naturalized in Southern California because of the irrigated gardens that are so common.

Thank you for identifying the critter.  My son was so excited when I read the email you had sent and how amazed he was how a shrimp can live in our yard.  Thank you and we will be visiting the site to identify all the insects and non insects we find in our backyard and vegetable garden.   I found your site to be very educational and entertaining, thank you!
Best Regards,
Jonathan Kim

Location: La Habra Heights, California

One Response to Lawn Shrimp

1. April says:

I found these all over my house and yes I live in California. For some reason it won’t let me post any pictures. The thing that’s really bothering me is that I keep finding silk spiders on me.