Subject: Unknown Insect
Location: Eastern Slope of the Andes, Sumaco region, Ecuador
March 16, 2017 5:47 am
On 1st March I was in the Foothills of the Andes on the eastern slope, in the country of Ecuador. An area known as Sumaco at an altitude of 4500′. I saw this insect, a cricket? and was surprised by its colours. Can you please identify it for me and Scientific name if possible. Thanks. Moira
Signature: Moira

Unknown Katydid

Dear Moira,
With the yellow markings on its face, antennae and legs, and the blue coloration on its wings, we thought we would have an easy time identifying this gorgeous Katydid in the family Tettigoniidae would be an easy internet identification, but alas, we have had no luck.  We searched the pages of Insetologia from Brazil as well as other sources.  We will attempt to contact Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki and we will also enlist the assistance of our readership.

Location: Sumaco, Ecuador

3 Responses to Unknown Katydid from Ecuador

1. Moira Gardner says:

Thanks for trying. I was hoping that Piotr Naskrecki would get back to you, but he has not.

2. […] form has been seen and photographed by my friend Andreas Kay, and also by someone named Moira who submitted her picture of it (from eastern Ecuador not far from our reserve) to an internet bug ID site, to no […]