Subject: Unidentified sphinx moth caterpillar from Indonesia
Location: Seminyak, Bali
When I was visiting Bali, I found 3 of these caterpillars feeding on an unidentified bush. I took one of them with me to rear as I travelled. It grew very quick and turned a brown colour in its final instar. When I was in java the following week I found the same plant with the same caterpillars on it. I walked past the plant in the evening and saw a hummingbird like hawkmoth fluttering over the leaves depositing eggs. If you need more pictures I have documentation of every instar. Thankyou/ Joey
Signature: Joey Twomey

Hornworm

Dear Joey,
We haven’t the time to research your query this morning, but we are posting your image nonetheless.  Perhaps Bostjan, who frequently identifies Hornworms for us, will recognize this individual.  Knowing the plant upon which it was feeding would be a tremendous clue in ascertaining its identity.  We would love to post a few more images.

The name of the food plant was Morinda citrifolia.
Joey Twomey

Location: Seminyak, Bali

2 Responses to Hornworm from Bali

1. Bostjan Dvorak says:

It seems to be Macroglossum troglodytus (troglodytus) Butler, 1875 – but could be one of the other, closely related Macroglossum species as well. Interesting documentation!

Best wishes