Subject: Hairy green caterpillar in Belize
Location: Cayo, Belize
Found this walking “train” of caterpillars today in Cayo, by the Mopan River in Belize. There were like 35 of them, coming down from a tree, each about 5 cm long. The green hair is toxic, got itchy and painful little bumps when I held one.
Signature: Daga

Automeris Caterpillar

Dear Daga,
This is a Giant Silkmoth Caterpillar in the genus Automeris, or a closely related genus.  It might be Automeris metzli which is pictured on the Kirby Wolfe Collection, but we are not certain.  We will contact Bill Oehlke to see if he can provide a species identification.  He may request permission to post your images to his comprehensive site as well and we hope you will grant permission.  The procession image is especially interesting.

Automeris Caterpillars

Oh WOW! this is an amazing moth! Thank you very much for responding. Of course you have permission to post the images- I could not find a similar caterpillar on google just searching for green hairy caterpillar Belize…but I came across your wonderful site and actually identified another bug there (fig sphinx caterpillar). There is so many interesting insects here, but caterpillars specially are catching my attention as they transform to something completely different. Thank you very much again!
Daga Rogers

Procession of Automeris Caterpillars

Location: Cayo Belize

One Response to Giant Silkmoth Caterpillars from Belize: Automeris species

1. Kitty Burgh says:

Hi, my dog discovered one of these on our 9:00 pm walk last night in Placencia, Belize. I had to run back in the house to get a flashlight to see it. He was about 5 inches long and looked like a Christmas tree farm! A most fascinating critter.