Subject: Bug identification
Location: Upstate NY Catskill Mountains
February 23, 2017 11:05 am
In the past 2 weeks, I’ve noticed these bugs crawling around in broad daylight. They resemble a roach but my husband swears it’s not. I see about 10 on any given day. They are seen sporadically anywhere, kitchen floor, living room floor, etc. Never seen on countertops but the thought of bugs in my home gives me the creeps. Could you please help me out here and identify this bug. It started about 2 weeks ago, as the weather has been warming up here in the Catskill Mountains, Upstate, NY.
Signature: Marie

Subject: Bug identification
Location: Upstate NY Catskill Mountains
February 23, 2017 11:28 am
I just recently sent you a inquiry if you could help me identify this bug that we’ve seen more and more in the past 2 weeks. Seems like since the weather got a bit warmer, we’ve suddenly seen this bug. Looks like a cockroach to me, but my husband says it’s not. Other people up here in Upstate New York, Catskill mountains, have also seen them and don’t know what they are. Can you help me out with identifying this pest? Never see them on the kitchen counters, and see about 10 a day in broad daylight. Has six legs and antennae. Dark brownish in color, and I believe they have wings, but I’ve never seen them fly. About 1/4 -1/2 inch in size. Have spotted them throughout our first floor. We do have an unfinished basement that get occasional water from rain. So please see if you can let me know what they are and what I can do to get rid of them. Thanks so much.

Eastern Boxelder Bugs

Dear Marie,
You have Eastern Boxelder Bugs, a species known to form large aggregations outdoors and to seek shelter indoors to hibernate once the weather cools.  Once the weather begins to warm again, the hibernating Eastern Boxelder Bugs become active and attempt to gain egress to the outdoors, at which point they are noticed.  Eastern Boxelder Bugs are harmless, and they will not damage your home, but they can become a nuisance when they are plentiful.

Thank you so much Daniel.  You were a big help.  Not sure how to get rid of them though.  Any ideas?
Marie

Location: Catskill Mountains, New York