Subject: Planthopper?
Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil
February 18, 2017 10:59 am
Hi again. I know this one it’s under the hemiptera order and I BELIEVE it is a planthopper from fulgoridae family. But I can’t find its exact name or this exact color. I found just one picture of the same bug but the person was saying it was a cicada (not true). It was not bigger than 3cm and was found in Porto Alegre, Brazil, in the morning. Do you have any idea about its name or something more specific? But any information or at least a confirmation would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. – 2 pictures attached.
Signature: Brenda Lavoieri

Planthopper

Dear Brenda,
This is definitely a Free Living Hemipteran in the Suborder Auchenorrhyncha, and it might be a Fulgorid Planthopper, but we cannot state for certain to which family it is a member.  Perhaps Cesar Crash who runs Insetologia will recognize this red-eyed hopper.

Planthopper

Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil

2 Responses to Planthopper from Brazil

1. Looks like any Poiocerinae (or Lystrinae: Poiocerini), but it would be nice to have a dorsal view to compare images.