Subject: Insect from Florida
Location: Florida
February 18, 2017 8:26 am
Last year a friend of mine spent her holiday the US and took a picture of a weird looking animal/insect. Having studied biology myself I was determined to find out what it was but failed so far. Even my former zoology professor was clueless. Hopefully, you can help to unravel the mystery.
The picture was taken in a mangrove national park in Florida.
Greetings from Germany!
Signature: Miriam

Thing

Dear Miriam,
We are pretty certain this is NOT an insect.  The pattern on the body looks more scalelike, like a fish or reptile, but even so, we are not convinced this is a living creature.  It looks to us like it might be a fishing lure of some type, meant to mimic a creature, but actually made of rubber or some other substance.  Perhaps one of our readers will have an idea we have overlooked.

Thank you so much for your reply. Maybe you are right and it’s just a toy made of rubber. If not, I really hope that someone from the readers has any idea or hint.
Best, Miriam

Location: Florida

3 Responses to Unknown Thing from Florida

1. Looks like a sculpture to me, some art work made by someone. But how it ended up there? If that’s a living thing I’m very curious to know what it is.

2. Black Zarak says:

Now that’s a strange one. My first thought is fishing lure, but looking close, it seems genuinely organic. My only guess is maybe this is something in the annelid family, or possibly two of them mating? Leeches of sort?

3. Samuel Grey says:

couldn’t you have examined it? please do if you come across it again… It does look like something alive,I like Black Zarak’s guess actually ☻