Subject: Lady bug invasion?
Location: East Texas woods
January 31, 2017 10:30 am
For a couple of months we have been assaulted by literally MILLIONS of little beetles that resemble lady bugs. They are literally everywhere…outside and inside! These come in a range of colors from deep red through mustard yellow. Some have black spots, some don’t. We live in the Piney Woods of East Texas. Any thoughts? Thank you!!! (Sorry the photo is a bit blurred.)
Signature: Overwhelmed

Multicolored Asian Lady Beetles

Dear Overwhelmed,
Though your image is quite blurry, we suspect you have encountered the introduced Multicolored Asian Lady Beetles that are known to hibernate indoors in great numbers.  See BugGuide for examples of the color and pattern diversity exhibited by the Multicolored Asian Lady Beetles,
Harmonia axyridis.  Our Better Nature has an interesting article on invasions of Multicolored Asian Lady Beetles.

Dear Daniel — Bull’s Eye!!!  That’s definitely what we’re dealing with!  I so appreciate your help. I’m engaging in the process of searching out and caulking every miniscule seam, crack or nail hole in my siding, though I expect it will not fully resolve this issue. I share the concern expressed in response to another inquiry re: the attack on our native lady beetles and the resultant decrease in genetic diversity. Let’s hear it for introduced species!  (A bit of sarcasm there). At any rate, thanks so much for your response!
Overwhelmed

Location: Piney Woods, Texas