Subject: I can’t figure out what this is
Location: Ohio
January 27, 2017 8:14 am
I woke up with two of these laying on me , I can’t figure out what they are.
Signature: Kaitlynn

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Dear Kaitlynn,
This is a Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae.  Considering your location and the time of year, we can think of two reasons why you encountered them.  The larvae of Longhorned Borer Beetles are found boring in wood, and they are often very species specific regarding food, sometimes feeding on a single species of tree.  If you have a wood burning stove or fireplace and you have a wood pile indoors, it might be a local species that emerged early due to the warmth indoors.  It is also possible that some species can survive in milled lumber.  It is not unknown for adult beetles to emerge from a piece of furniture (new bed perhaps?) or newly installed wood paneling.  On a positive note, they will not lay eggs in furniture or structural wood, so one they have emerged, they will NOT reproduce in your home.  Unfortunately, we cannot determine the species from your image.

Location: Ohio

One Response to Longhorned Borer Beetle

1. Cheryl says:

Katilynn, My deepest sympathies for having to see those buggers lying on you!
    I’ve seen many in person, they are quite disturbing. (And not little either!)
    Go have a nice cup of tea to calm your nerves after you escort them outside.
    Cheryl