Subject: Bug ID
Location: Zambia
Hi. I am a farmer in Zambia, Central Africa, and have noticed a lot of these bugs on my sorghum crop. They are not damaging the crop but I am hoping that maybe they are predatory and maybe feeding on either the yellow cane aphids or fall army worm eggs/larvae. Any help would be appreciated. We are in our mid summer wet season.
Signature: Adrian

Mating Soldier Beetles

Dear Adrian,
We believe these are Soldier Beetles in the family Cantharidae.  This posting on iSpot looks like a very good visual match, but it is only identified to the family level.  Of the family members, BugGuide states:  “Adults eat nectar, pollen, other insects; larvae are fluid-feeding predators, feed on insect eggs and larvae” so we are pleased to inform you that this is a beneficial species and you have no cause to worry about your crop. 

Soldier Beetle

Thanks for the quick response, these most certainly look like soldier beetles. Now you have narrowed it down for me I will do a bit more research into them and try and figure out exactly which one it is, will keep you posted.
A.Bignell
Mazabuka
Zambia

Soldier Beetle

Location: Zambia

2 Responses to Mating Soldier Beetles from Zambia

1. L Curtin says:

What plants would attract the soldier beetle in Zambia?