Subject: Identification Request
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Hi there,
Here are a few interesting ‘bugs’ I photographed while living in Tanzania between 2008 and 2011. Hoping you can help me (finally) identify exactly what they are 🙂
Many thanks
Signature: Tom Broughton

Oleander Hawkmoth

Dear Tom,
This is either an Oleander Hawkmoth or a closely related species in the same genus.  Our doubt regarding the specificity arises from the statement on the Sphingidae of Hawaii site (where it is an introduced species) that “The Oleander Hawk Moth,
Deilephila nerii or Daphnis nerii (Wing span: 90–110mm) is primarily associated with “the southern Mediterranean region, North Africa and the Middle East to Afghanistan (Ebert, 1969). Along the Mediterranean, there is no clear distinction between resident and migrant populations. Permanent populations exist in suitable locations in Sicily, Crete and Cyprus; however, over a number of favourable years further colonies may be established in those islands and also in southern Italy and southern Greece, all of which die out during a hard winter.  Extra-limital range. From Afghanistan eastward to south-east Asia and the Philippines; as a migrant, it penetrates northwards into central Europe and central southern Asia. In Africa it ocurs at least as far south as southern Cameroon.”

Location: Arusha, Tanzania