Subject: Identify insect
Location: Southern Thailand
January 23, 2017 3:01 am
My wife and I saw this insect angling on a wall. Southern Thailand. We and several Thai people would like to know what it is and any information you may supply.
Thanking you in advance,
Dan & Mari Brown
Marysville, Washington USA
Signature: Dan R Brown

Longicorn: Xylorhiza adusta

Dear Dan,
This is a positively gorgeous Longicorn or Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae.  We believe we have correctly identified it as Xylorhiza adusta thanks to images on Singapore Fauna where it states:  “It has a wide distribution in Asia, from India to China and down to Sumatra. Known host plants include Beautyberry trees (
Callicarpa arborea and C. macrophylla); plant from the mint family (Premna pyramidata); Viburnum odoratissimum and Wrightia tinctoria: both a kind of small shrubby tree.”  We also found images on FlickR and The Worldwide Cerambycidae Photo Gallery.

Thank you for identifying the insect. Many did not know its type. Now many have a new respect for this living being.
Dan R Brown

Location: Thailand