Subject: Pennsylvania bug
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Washing dishes in my kitchen when this bug buzzed loudly across the room and dive bombed into the water. Water was hot so he didn’t make it. Never saw one before, abdomen has an odd concave shape. Black (or dark brown?) with yellow markings. What is this bug?
Signature: Debbie

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Dear Debbie,
The Western Conifer Seed Bug is a species native to the Pacific Northwest that greatly expanded its range across North America beginning in the 1960s.  Western Conifer Seed Bugs often seek shelter indoors to hibernate when the weather cools, which is probably why you found it in your kitchen.

Thank you so much for your help!  I have been bombarded with “stink bugs” this year more than ever!!!  Asian lady bugs are everywhere as well. They are driving me crazy!!!!  So when this new looking bug landed in my sink, I thought, “Here we go again!”  Thank you for identifying it for me. I refer to your site often!  It’s a fantastic reference!!!
Btw….is there any kind of deterrent for any of the above mentioned bugs?  I do not want to spray to kill, I just wish I could discourage them out of our living space better. Our home is an 1815 farmhouse and we are trying to seal up as much as we can. Any advice would be helpful.
Again, thank you for the ID on the bug. I will continue to reference your very informative site!  Have a great day!
Debbie

Hi again Debbie,
Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs, Multi-Colored Asian Lady Beetles and Western Conifer Seed Bugs are all introduced species in your area, and they probably have no natural enemies, hence their ability to proliferate, and they are most likely here to stay.  Short of sealing your house better, we cannot provide any additional deterrents. 

Thanks very much!  Then we will continue to do that!!  Again, j appreciate your help and will continue to enjoy your site!!!

Location: Pennsylvania