Subject: Weird bug
Location: San Antonio, Texas
I found this slender yellow bug on my way to get the mail today. It has large blue eyes, long antennae, semi-long legs, and a long backside. Can you help me figure out what kind of bug this is? I’ve searched 10 websites and have not been able to figure it out!
Signature: Courtney Richardson

Short Tailed Ichneumon

Dear Courtney,
This is a parasitic Ichneumon in the genus
Ophion, the Short Tailed Ichneumons.  You can compare your individual to this BugGuide image.  According to BugGuide:  “Most all Ophion larva are parasites of caterpillars” and “Adult Ophion species will hunt for their host caterpillar. Usually one egg is laid per host. Caterpillar usually dies during pupal stage though wasp larva remains to pupate itself.”  It should also be noted that Short Tailed Ichneumons are frequently attracted to lights, and though Ichneumons are considered harmless to humans, the Short Tailed Ichneumons are capable of stinging.

Location: San Antonio, Texas