Subject: Tailless Whipscorpion?
Location: Chemuyíl Pueblo, México Yucatán
January 8, 2017 10:58 am
Hi. This creature is living inside my casita’s biodigestor (a sewage processing tank), but I imagine it has a good life in there. It seems to use the long front legs as feelers, probing in all directions. There are many unusual bugs in the jungle here, such as spiders and scorpions that carry their babies on their backs.
I was delighted to find your site – thanks!
P.S. Can you tell me about spiderlings traveling in a “conga line”, hundreds of them? Why?
Signature: Malcolm

Tailless Whipscorpion

Dear Malcolm,
Back in 2006 we received images of a Tailless Whipscorpion from Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico with the information that a local name is Cancle.  Wolf Spiders are among the most well-known Spiders that exhibit maternal behavior, caring for the young Spiderlings until they are ready to disperse.  We have never heard of a situation where Spiderlings remain together after leaving the female’s protection, and we suspect the “conga line” you witnessed was of creatures other than Spiders.  The behavior you describe is more typical of social insects like ants or immature Hemipterans.  Are you able to provide an image? 

Location: Chemuyil, Pueblo, Mexico