Subject: Need identification
Location: 44.703093,-63.610989
Being having crawling sensations on me for the last two years.
Sorry for the bad pictures i had to put transparent tape over it.
I got this when i stop at Burnside motel in Dartmouth NS.
Signature: Celine

Booklouse

Dear Celine,
This is a Booklouse in the family Liposcelididae, and according to BugGuide they are found:  “
worldwide and across NA; many spp. are now nearly cosmopolitan or otherwise widely spread through agency of man, mostly with stored products” and their habitat is “under bark, in ant nests, in homes.”  According to Penn State Department of Entomology:  “Booklice, also called psocids, are not true lice. While they resemble lice in size and shape, booklice feed only on fungi or mold. If you find them in grain or other stored food products, it is an indication of high humidity which encourages mold growth. In addition to food products, psocids may be found under wallpaper, in furniture, along the sides of windows or on window sills around potted plants. Booklice do not bite, transmit disease, or damage food or fabric, but they can be very annoying when present in large numbers.”  The site also states:  “Booklice feed on molds and will overrun cereals and similar materials that support mold growth. Their presence, therefore, is a nuisance and can render some foods unfit. The starchy paste of wallpaper and books also can support mold growth or may be attacked directly by booklice. Outside of annoyance, their damage is insignificant.”

Booklouse

Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada