Subject: What is this beetle??
Location: San Diego
Can you identify this bug/beetle
Signature: Thank you

Bark Gnawing Beetle

This appears to be a Bark Gnawing Beetle in the genus Temnoscheila and according to BugGuide:  “can inflict a painful bite if handled carelessly.”  Despite its name, Bark Gnawing Beetles are not injurious to trees, but rather they are predators.  Of the family Trogossitidae, BugGuide notes:  “Many are predatory on other beetles and their larvae.”  The Myrmecos Blog states:  “This colorful insect arrived to a blacklight in my backyard a couple of years back, right when I first moved to Tucson. Previously I’d encountered Temnoscheila only under the bark of dead trees, where they apparently prey on the larvae of other beetles. I’ve always wondered why a beetle that spends most of its time secluded in the dark would need such a brilliant metallic sheen, if the color serves a purpose or is just a spandrel.”

Ok I found 2 in my house…… so do you think it came In on some wood? We cut down and split our own…

That is a distinct possibility.  We read on iNaturalist that pine is a preferred host.

Location: San Diego, California