Subject: Found multi color bug which I’ve never seen before
Location: South Texas
Hello! Today whilst looking around my yard I saw a yellow, red/orange and black bug which I’ve never seen before around my fence and near the ground. From what I could tell they had 6 legs, 2 antenae and had weird patterns etched to their backs. The larger one had more black whilst the smaller ones were more yellow (not sure if they are the same species). They all seemed to be close together as shown in the picture.
Though it’s winter at the moment, they are very mild and usually never reach below freezing even when a cold front approaches.
-Sorry if the picture is not a close up shot, it was the best I could do.
Thanks for your time and dedication!
Signature: Agon

Six Spotted Milkweed Bugs

Dear Agon,
You high resolution image is perfectly fine for identifying these Six Spotted Milkweed Bugs,
Oncopeltus sexmaculatus, a species that according to BugGuide is “Similar to Large Milkweed Bug, but with a red head, and a slightly different spot pattern.”  Based on BugGuide data, Six Spotted Milkweed Bugs are only reported from Texas within the United States, and your submission represents a new species for our site.  Your image depicts both winged adults and wingless, more yellow nymphs.

Six Spotted Milkweed Bugs

Six Spotted Milkweed Bugs

Location: Texas