Subject: Large beautiful insect
Location: Smyrna (North Georgia)
Hello Bugman,
This is a terrific site and already my husband and I have learned some very interesting things! The picture I am sending you is of a very large bug (3″ in length) that flew onto the side mirror of my neighbor’s car. It was a medium gray color with brown undertones and some reddish markings (eyes, on back. Etc) it was slow flying and seemed cumbersome. The picture was taken this past November here in Smyrna (North Georgia). I observed thd bug for several minutes, fascinated and took video footage that is about 30 seconds. I have done a bit of research amd guessed it was some species of Leaf Footed Bug, but would love to hear what an expert has to say. Thank you very much!
Signature: J. langham

Big Legged Plant Bug

Dear J. Iangham,
You are correct that this is a Leaf Footed Bug in the family Coreidae, and more specifically it is a Big Legged Plant Bug in the genus
Acanthocephala, probably Acanthocephala terminalis which is described on BugGuide as:  “Apical segment of antenna orange or yellowish, contrasting sharply with the dark segments 1-3; metatibial flange wavy-margined, narrowing distally and extending only two-thirds the length of the tibia; pronotum covered with golden hairs and with small but distinct tubercles; abdomen sinuate in outline, the sides of the abdomen bulging outward beyond the wings when viewed from above. “

Thank you very much Bugman! It’s great to know the identity of our visitor and my husband and I appreciate your time!
Regards,
Jeni

Location: Smyrna, Georgia