Subject: Green beetle?
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
January 5, 2017 3:17 am
This bug was on my ceiling. It was difficult to pry off (felt like ripping off velcro) and appeared to have green insides, despite being originally brown/gray in color.
Signature: Kristin

Stink Bug

Dear Kristin,
This is NOT a beetle.  It is a Stink Bug in the family Pentatomidae, and we are uncertain of the species.

Thank you Daniel for responding to me so quickly! Do I need to be concerned about this stink bug? As in do they bite or feed on blood or did he just kind of accidentally get into my house and his food source is more outside? If that makes sense..
Kristin

Hi again Kristin,
While we admit that Stink Bugs might be capable of biting a person, that would not be a normal occurrence.  There are some Predatory Stink Bugs that feed on other insects, most Stink Bugs have mouths adapted to piercing the surface of plants and sucking the fluids they find in the stems, leaves, blossoms and fruits.

Oh wow that’s interesting! Thank you so much again for the information! Take care!
Kristin

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

3 Responses to Stink Bug from Hawaii