Subject: Unusual pink bug in Johannesburg South Africa
Location: South Africa, Johannesburg
Hi, love your site thank you for the interesting and informative info you post. I live in the country side just outside Johannesburg, South Africa. It is mid summer here and my son noticed this very unusual bug on the wall in the house. At first we thought it was one bug which had a an upper pink portion with a black end disguised to look like a head too but when we out it in a bottle to take it outside we noticed that it was in fact two bugs and the pink bug was pushing a half digested black. If out its anterior end! Can’t find any info on this and was hoping you could tell is what this bug is?
Signature: Tracy

Newly Metamorphosed Stink Bug might be Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Dear Tracy,
The albino-like coloration of this Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is an indication that it just emerged from its cast off nymphal exoskeleton.  The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is an invasive, exotic species originally from Asia that has spread across North America in a very short period of time.

Retraction:  January 19, 2017
Though this is a newly metamorphosed Stink Bug, we cannot state for certain that it is a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.  Thanks to Curious Girl for pointing out to us that there are no known reports of Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs in South Africa.  The Invasive Species Compendium does not list sightings in South Africa.  We based our identification on the striped antennae which are distinctive in the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.  This may be a first reported sighting.

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

3 Responses to Newly Metamorphosed Stink Bug might be Brown Marmorated Stink Bug in South Africa

1. Curious Girl says:

I have not found any evidence of the BMSB being in South Africa. Could you provide a source?

Thanks for the comment Curious Girl. We still believe the identification is correct, but without verification that the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug has been introduced to South Africa, we are qualifying the identification and amending the posting.

2. Curious Girl says: