Subject: Butterfly in Baja California, Mexico.
Location: Baja California, Mexico, southeast coast.
I just submitted a butterfly about 20 minutes before this one. It was the wrong picture. This is the butterfly that my brother took a picture of in Baja California, Mexico, southeast coast, on January 1st. We researched it for a while but could not identify it. Wondering if it is immature.
Sorry for the wrong picture last time.
Signature: Dan in Nevada

Brushfooted Butterfly

Blackened Bluewing Butterfly

Dear Dan,
The best we can provide at this time is a family identification.  This is a Brushfooted Butterfly in the family Nymphalidae, and we could not find it listed on the Butterflies and Moths of North America site, which leads us to believe it is probably a mainland species that has strayed to the coast of Baja.  We suspect one of our readers will provide us with a species name and a link very soon.

Update:  January 4, 2017
We received a comment that this is a Blackened Bluewing,
Myscelia cyananthe, a species that appears to have much variation.  This individual on iNaturalist looks similar, but images on Butterflies of America and BugGuide look different.

Location: Baja California, Mexico

3 Responses to Blackened Bluewing from Mexico

1. This is a Blackened Bluewing, Myscelia cyananthe. It’s on the BAMONA site but there’s no photo.

Thanks for that identification. We looked at the Blackened Bluewing but the spots on the edge of the forewing as well as what appears to be red spots showing through from the under surface of the hindwings caused us to question that ID.

• Daniel says:

Thanks for the information, and taking the time to research that.