Subject: ID of Cancun bee
Location: Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo, Mexico
I took these pictures on 12/28 at about 8:30 AM in Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo, Mexico, just south of Cancun. I thought it was some species of bumble bee, but have not been able to identify it through on-line research. I believe the white on the head and thorax is just pollen. I’m sorry for the blurriness of some of the images – I’m sending you the best of the lot. Could you please tell me what species you think this might be? Thank you.
Signature: Nochejt

Bumble Bee

Orchid Bee

Dear Nochejt,
We believe you are probably correct that this is a Bumble Bee.  We also agree that the white on the head and thorax is pollen.  We have not had any luck locating any solid black Bumble Bees with solid yellow abdomens online, but we will continue to attempt to provide a species identification for you.

Bumble Bee

Orchid Bee

Thank you Daniel. I also have come up empty. Possible new species?

Bumble Bee

Orchid Bee

Correction Courtesy of Karl
Hello Daniel and Nochejt:
I believe this is actually an Orchid Bee in the tribe Euglossini. The genus is Eulaema and the species is likely E. polychroma. Regards, Karl

Awesome Karl/Daniel!  Thank you so much.  After looking up Eulaema polychroma, I agree.  The distribution is a good match.