Subject: Cottonwood stag beetle
Location: Orem ut
We have what we believe is a cottonwood stag beetle larvae. He is over 2 inches long and has large pinchers. We found him buried in the wood chips at the playground where we have seen the really big cottonwood stag beetles and we are assuming for its size and location that is what we have. My kids really want to “raise” it. We have kept it in a jar with wood chips for about 3 months. We occasionally add a little water. I can’t find anything about it’s lifecycle. What else can we do to ensure a successful metamorphosis in the spring/summer. We check every few days for movement through the glass, so far so good.
Signature: Jr entomologists

Probably Cottonwood Stag Beetle Grub

Probably Cottonwood Stag Beetle Grub

Dear Jr entomologists,
You are our first posting of the New Year after returning back to the office today.  We agree that this is most likely a Cottonwood Stag Beetle Grub since you have found adults in the vicinity.  Your individual looks like the Stag Beetle Grub pictured on BugGuide.

Probably Cottonwood Stag Beetle Grub

Probably Cottonwood Stag Beetle Grub

Location: Orem, Utah

2 Responses to Probably Cottonwood Stag Beetle Grub

1. BugKiller says:

I certainly hope you’re not going to “let it be free” if you and your children succeed? After all, it’s one of the most damaging species to these trees out there, and, another one we can thank, “Free Trade” for!

Wow. You are really funny spreading fake news that way. Of the Cottonwood Stag Beetle states BugGuide: “Range sw US (AZ-NM-CO-UT),” which we interpret to mean that it is a native species, though that range does include land that once belonged to Mexico before the Mexican American War. According to the History Channel site: “When the dust cleared, Mexico had lost about one-third of its territory, including nearly all of present-day California, Utah, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico.” That could mean the Cottonwood Stag Beetles are actually a Mexican species. Alas, insects have no respect for international borders.