Subject: What bugs are these?
Location: Cairns, QLD, Australia
December 3, 2016 7:11 am
Found these in my yard.
Signature: CE

Stilt Legged Fly

Stilt Legged Fly

Dear CE,
Like another of your submitted images, we believe this is a Stilt Legged Fly in the family Micropezidae, but unlike the previous image, we have not been successful in finding any matching images from Australia online.  We are postdating this submission to go live to our site when we are out of the office for the holidays at the end of the month.

Correction Courtesy of Karl:  Banana Stalk Fly
Hi Daniel and CE:
This is actually a Banana Stalk Fly (Family Neriidae); we usually call them Cactus Flies in North America. Depending on which source you read, there are either two or three species in Australia. Of these, I believe Telostylinus lineolatus is the closest match. Regards, Karl

Thanks so much Karl.  Interestingly, we have a mating pair of Banana Stalk Flies from Hawaii in our archives, and that posting is also listed as Stilt Legged Flies.  We will create a Cactus Fly subcategory for both postings.

Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

2 Responses to Banana Stalk Fly from Australia

1. Cesar Crash says:

I believe it’s Telostylinus lineolatus (Neriidae)