Subject: What’s this bug?
Location: Portland, Oregon
I saw this sucker walking up a door frame. When I attempted to catch it it flew away. Wondering if maybe it was hiding in the doug fur Christmas tree we brought home yesterday ?
Signature: Jason

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Dear Jason,
Western Conifer Seed Bugs are notorious for entering homes when the weather cools to hibernate, but according to BugGuide, they feed on “sap from green cones, twigs, seed pulp, and sometimes needles of Pinaceae (pines, hemlock, spruce, Douglas-fir)” so it might have gained access to your home on the tree as well.

Location: Portland, Oregon

2 Responses to Western Conifer Seed Bug

1. D says:

We have a live tree this year and have these unwanted guests too! I’m curious if they came in during our very cold weather about 10 days ago or in the tree.

2. Tammy Ikonen says:

I just found this little booger on my patio so I can have any kind of Christmas tree or anything like that here and it type of Pine-Sol wondering what the heck it’s doing on my balcony in Idaho granted the weather got down to about 38 degrees last night and it is October 19th 2018