Subject: Found this in a bedroom
Location: Braintree, Essex, England
December 16, 2016 3:23 am
Would really appreciate your help. My daughter found this in her bedroom and having looked at a few websites I have no idea what it is.
Signature: Thanks, Neil

Possibly Bot Fly Larva

Possibly Bot Fly Larva

Dear Neil,
This thing reminds us of a Bot Fly larva, but we have never seen an image of a Bot Fly larva with spiny projections along its body.  We will do additional research and get back to you.  It is possible it gained entrance to your daughter’s bedroom because of a family pet.

Possibly Bot Fly Larva

Possibly Bot Fly Larva

Thank you for tour prompt email.
I hope you have luck finding it, one thing that may help is that we don’t have family pets other than guinea pigs but they live outside.
Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated
Neil

Many Bot Flies are endoparasites on rodents, so the Guinea Pigs may be playing host.

Eric Eaton provides a correction:  Little House Fly Larva
Pretty certain the fly larva is Fannia sp., family Fanniidae.  They used to be in the Muscidae, but are now in their own family.  Known as “Little House Flies.”  Hm-m-m, I may have to do more digging, but the “habitat” would sure fit for that, too.
… I’d like permission to use the Fannia larva images so I can do a blog post.  I found an adult here in Colorado Springs just a couple weeks ago.  I’m attaching an image, in fact.
Happy holidays, safe travels!
Cheers,

Little House Fly (courtesy of Eric Eaton)

I have attached both images I took as my phone doesn’t keep a record of emails sent for some strange reason.
I am more than happy for him to use the images I did have a look on line at the one he thinks it is and it does look similar other than the one online mentioned 5-8 mm and a black head, I think you can see from the images this was approx 15mm and didnt have a black head. ..
TBH Im more concerned about if its dangerous, how and why it was in my daughter’s bedroom and to stop it happening again.
Thanks again for all your help
Neil

Presumably Little House Fly Larva

Presumably Little House Fly Larva

Location: Braintree, Essex, England

One Response to Mysterious Thing found in bedroom may be Little House Fly Larva

1. Renee says:

What it thst insect?